Sunday, June 29, 2008

Living Up To My Name

Yesterday, we went to an agricultural college to learn how to plant vegetables. It was interesting to spend the afternoon working in a field. When we were finished there, a group of us went into Lima to buy some guitars. Yes, I bought a guitar. No, I don't know how to play it. I do plan on learning in these 2 years, though... which is how I will be "living up to my name".

Randomly, after purchasing our guitars, we became emersed in a gay pride parade. It was crazy... tons of drag queens dancing on trucks, rainbow banners everywhere, and a giant vagina on top of a car. It took us forever to get back because there was traffic everywhere. The hilarity of this entire situation made this one of my favorite days here. I live for those moments.

Today, also, ranks high on the favorites list. My host mom really likes me now I think. We had a really long conversation the other night about our faith and she told me more about herself. We really bonded and so now she is trying to teach me to cook. A daunting task because, as most of you know, following a receipe is not my forte. Who forgets peanutbutter in peanutbutter blossom cookies and makes crumbly fudge? Yeah, that's me. So, we shall see if I become a master chef in these next couple months. After my cooking lesson, I went up on the roof to hang up my wet laundry. Believe it or not, this was actually my first time on the roof of my house here and I fell in love immediately. I now have a favorite spot here... where I fully intend on sitting in the evening to write journal entries and practice my newly devloping guitar skills.

The Next Top Chef,
Melody

2 comments:

sockermidget said...

learn how to cook some guinea pigs. i want to try some!

Anonymous said...

thats pretty awesome....i wanna learn how to play too...we then can go to bluegrass festivals and jam......