Sunday, June 15, 2008

No Coincidences

I finished reading the Celestine Prophesy yesterday. This is a fiction book and I'm definitely finding it hard to believe it is based on facts. However, the general message of it is something I already believed... there are no coincidences in life. Everything happens for a reason. Everyone we meet serves a purpose in our lives and, likewise, we serve a purpose in theirs. For these past 2 years, I have lived my life day to day, completely present in every moment... soaking it all in. I've never felt so at peace.

The words "Everything happens for a reason" take me back to a time and a place in my past. Sobbing and curled up in the fetal postion on the couch in my parent's living room. I remember my mom saying this over and over again to me, while I layed there in her arms. This was my lowest of lows. At a person's lowest of lows, everything happens for a reason is never something you want to hear. Of course, it's the only thing that can be said (at a lowest of lows, that is). It's all a mother could say to a daughter with a broken heart ready to fly off to Japan.

Last night, I went to a fiesta for my friend's host mom's birthday. A bunch of other volunteers were there and one of the girls asked me why I was in Japan... Who hasn't heard the story that follows this question? It's pretty epic. Last night was the first night in a long time that I expressed just how far I've come in the past two years. It was the first time in a long time that I even thought about Brandon with any emotion.

"Coincidentally" today in a small store in Chosica with my host family, an all too familiar song came on the radio. (I tend to relate songs to moments in my life... as I'm sure a lot of other people do) I had two "break-up" songs, one being the bad day song by Daniel Powder. I actually bought that CD on the marine base in Japan. In addition to that, the song 3am by Anna Nalick is my other one. I must ask what the odds are that directly following the bad day song, 3am came on the radio in this tiny store in this obscure city in Peru. I was a little bit blown away. I am not sure what this sign pertains to. When i figure it out I'll let you all know.

I hiked to the top of the mountain behind my house today with a bunch of friends. I'm pretty sure that there is no place on this Earth that is not beautiful. This area is nothing more than piles of dirt and rocks, yet on that mountain it was beautiful. (I posted pictures on the myspace) There is beauty in everything and everyone, no matter how hard it is to see at first.

I ate pizza tonight... a sad representation of pizza, but pizza none the less.

Your bosom friend,
Melody

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

l think its super amazing that you're reading that book in Peru. I was obsessed with Peru and got Michelle and juanita wanting to visit there with me after the three of us finished that book. Let me warn you, the 'Coincidences' never ended! I still notice the hints from God all the time, i tend to look for them though. Its funny how the more you do research on the Maya, enlightenment, and metaphysics... the more the nine insights seem to be true/profound. I believe in all nine...haha anyways...i think your stories are pretty freaking awesome and im almost tempted to make a myspace to see your pics. If you want me to send to you the tenth insight which is the sequel to that book, i can! It's really good. Anyways, Love you!

Anonymous said...

So i was thinking about the whole breakup conscience stuff and I think you got the message right in the beginning...the conscience is basically pointing at that time in your life saying that you can get through anything. ;) Kinda like a nudge on how strong of a person you are! :)

Anonymous said...

PPS...ok so i leave lots of comments..I think you can leave pictures on here...like jen does *hint* *hint*