Thursday, July 3, 2008

Romantic and Sustainable

It's a funny title, I know, and only the lovely design girls will understand the inside joke behind it. The reason I've used this particular joke as my title is because sustainablity is, apparently, an underlying theme in my life. We had an entire semester of sustainable design at good old Philly U. We learned about the importance of creating something that will sustain itself after you are no longer there... projects that use location, green energy, and recycled products to create a much healthier built environment. Here, sustainablity has the same basic methodology. We need to go into these communities and create programs that will remain functioning long after we are gone: self-sustaining programs. It's actually a great way to live life in general. It's one way a part of us can stay on this Earth long after we are gone.

The romantic part of the title does not hold much truth. The only relationships I have going on right now are secret ones. Most of you remember that I have secret boyfriends wherever I go... and its a secret because the guy has no idea. So, of course I have a secret Peace Corps boyfriend and he, of course, has no idea. It sounds a little creepy but I swear its just to be funny and I'm not actually a creepster!!

I have been spending quite a lot of time in Photoshop Land. How ironic considering I hated using it for all those crazy design projects. I'm actually thinking it might not be a bad idea to get my family to send me my portfolio stuff... maybe I've reached the point of motivation. Yet, I still have no idea what I'm going to do with myself after all this. Maybe, I will try this scary world of design out for a little while. Maybe, I'll go to grad school in Denver (I really liked Colorado). Maybe, I'll find some other crazy way to stay clear of a career path and travel the world. I do have two years to figure it out and search for inspiration.

Tomorrow is the 4th of July. It will be my first time celebrating US Independence outside of the US. We do have some interesting festivities planned... fun little relay races, hamburgers (the highlight of the day), and I think there will be some musical entertainment. I can't say enough that I'm so lucky to be here with this group of people. Peru 11 is pretty much amazing. I am sad, though, to be missing out on the grand firework extravaganza of that which is the Shillington Community Days... first 4th of July without fireworks (they are my favorite!!) Enjoy them for me. Can you send sparklers in the mail?

The lover of fuegos artificiales,
Melody

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought about you and tara during the 4th of july...its how we became friends! I think i finally figured out what im gonna do with my life...i kinda explained my plan in my blog..its gonna be crazy...but i think it makes the most sense. I was also wondering, what's your mailing address so i can send you the 10th insight. Loves xox