Sunday, July 6, 2008

One Month

It's officially been one month since we made our way to this fascinating country. I had no idea what to be expecting and I must say things are turning out much better than I had ever anticipated. I'm really making friends with tons of new interesting people, Peruvians and volunteers alike. This is the ultimate "not knowing what will happen tomorrow" experience- which are most definitely my favorite. Also, this place is beautiful!! I spent a good hour just sitting in front of my house on Friday night trying to take it all in.

Friday was the 4th of July, as everyone knows. Peru 11 started the day off with some ridiculous field day games and HAMBURGERS!! Following the Peace Corps celebration, I went to a store called Plaza Vea with Erin, Marian, and Margaret. It's basically like Peru's WalMart... and it was a little bit of amazing! We bought stuff for the lunch we are making for all of our families today and I found a can of Mountain Dew for 2.95 soles (a crazy high price but well worth it). That night, there was a fiesta for Nicole's birthday here in Huascaran where I live. I felt so American with straightened hair and Mountain Dew... consider it a tribute to my country's independence.

Yesterday, we went to La Agraria again and learned about composte and more plant stuff. Having a garden like Mommom's is on my list of things to do before I die but I don't forsee that happening while I am here in Peru. I can't say all this stuff isn't interesting and it gives us a chance to be outside. After that Kelly, Nicole, Erin, and I went to Jockey Plaza (a mall that reminds me of home!) for lunch... and we were so tired that we went right home to sleep. I'm such an old lady these days with my 9pm bedtime!

Life is good here... I hope things are well at home too! I miss you all big time.

Peace out,
Melody

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im jealous, wish i was there...so i have books i wanna send you!