Thursday, August 7, 2008

Dime porque lloras

Over the course of the average lifetime you meet a lot of people. Some of them stick with you through thick and thin. Some weave their way through your life and disappear forever. But once in awhile, someone comes along who earns a permanant place in your heart.
-The Wonder Years

First of all, Maureen is probably estatic that I used a Wonder Years quote... Afterall, she did force us to watch it all of final crit week (not that I minded). Also, you must know that every little thing is reminding me of people from home.

The reason I used this quote, and the same reason I cried last night, is because I am really going to have a hard time saying goodbye to my host family in Huascaran. I´ve only been living there for 2 months but they are amazing people. I can´t express in words how it feels to have people open their home to me like they have. I wish I could live with that family for the next two years. It´s almost harder to leave them than it was to leave my real family... only because there is not the promise of seeing them for the rest of my life. These are the people that will disappear forever except for in my heart.

On a happier note, my site is literally a paradise. I have huge rocky mountains, green fields, and a beach. I live in a town that has everything, not too far from a very accessible capital city, surrounded by rural farm country, with a very caring family and a supportive community. I spent the afternoon riding around in a car with the alcalde (local municiple officials) chewing on sugar cane and enjoying the surroundings. I´m not too far from the famous Machu Pichu or Lake Titicaca. There are horses to ride during summer on the beach! I´m a short ride away from Kelly, another volunteer (about 20 km). The tiny barrio nearby is known for alfajores (really fabulous cookies) and, for a coastal town, this place is really safe. Can someone pinch me?

Much love

No comments: