Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wednesday Adventure

Feeling rather amibitious this morning, I headed out on a journey in search of a secret beach. I had been hearing (from multiple people) about a beach that I could find at the end of a long path which starts at the big white Jesus on the mountain. I set out with high hopes, wandering through a desolate ¨ghost town¨of woven shacks along the side of the cliff above La Punta. As it turns out, these mountains above me are literally a desert. I walked for about an hour with a view of the ocean to my right and a full blown desert to my left. This was my first time walking through sand dunes. I can now understand why people go insane alone in the desert. It makes you feel small and insignificant and it never feels like you are making any progress. I know these are sad words from someone who someday hopes to thru hike the AT but I find it much more enjoyable walking on a path surrounded by trees. I never made it to the beach and, in fact, I am not even sure that this path leads to a beach. It looks like it only goes farther and farther into an endless desert with no hopes of connecting with the coast. I think perhaps I will try walking along the base of the cliff next time. That was my first time walking for hours without encountering another person in Peru. It did feel good to be alone.

Sometimes, I like to feel like we did in Japan. Meaning that, it feels good to know that your legs can take you just about anywhere.

No comments: