Monday, October 20, 2008

Inspirational Anonymity

“But few have spoken of the actual pleasure derived from giving to someone, from creating something, from finishing a task, from offering unexpected help almost invisibly and anonymously.” –Paul Wiener

I just got off the phone with Mommom and Grumps. It was refreshing to talk to them. It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve heard their voices. We talked a bit about my mom and I mentioned that I had been thinking about her the other day. For the longest time, she has been in the heroes section of my myspace but did I really understand exactly why I put her there? Could I put into words what makes her an inspiration? I don’t know if I ever thought about how amazing and indispensable her life is to certain people. Obviously, I needed her in my life but there are other people that she has impacted and with no obligation whatsoever. In my opinion, to be a server is to help others with a humble heart, to think of yourself second, and to be perfectly fine “giving help invisibly and anonymously”. My mom is a server. From cutting my great-grandmother’s toe nails to cooking meals for needy families to helping an elderly woman clean her house every week. She does it and she doesn’t get the recognition she should for it. The thing is that I don’t think she needs or wants recognition. Perhaps the quote above is correct. Perhaps this is how actual pleasure is derived. All I know is that I can only aspire to be like that. We all can only aspire to be like that.

No comments: