Saturday, December 13, 2008

Things I´ve Learned Since Coming To Peru

- How to speak Spanish. I am definitely not fluent but I can speak it all day everyday.
- How to eat things I wouldn´t dare to touch in the states and pretend to like it.
- That you can rent really sweet costumes for the equivalent of $5 a night.
- That you apparently need to be a little bit crazy to join the Peace Corps... crazy in a good way, of course. The other volunteers here are a little bit of amazing.
- How to be alone... and not go completely insane.
- All about Catholicism... I´ve been to too many confirmation classes.
- How to drink beer... probably not the best thing to have learned but it is cheap and safe.
- That strangers don´t automatically high-five you, if you run towards them with your hand up. They just think you are insane.
- How to sit through a telenovela, which is even more painful than American soap operas.
- That care packages or letters can brighten the saddest of days.
- How to knit a scarf and make super awesome friendship bracelets.
- You can find peanut butter, oreos, pringles, and snickers in Peru... for a price.
- How to do my eye makeup... even though I still choose not to, usually.
- That recycling has been so strongly instilled in my character that I have about 50 giant plastic water bottles under my bed because I just can´t bring myself to throw them in the trash.
- How to put all of my faith in God.
- How to deal with piropos (guys that whistle, make kissing noises, or shout ¨Melody my love¨or ¨Hello you drive me crazy baby¨)
- How to take freezing cold showers. Although, I´m pretty sure I´ll never learn to enjoy them.
- How to bargain for everything... and in Spanish none the less. I get seriously upset if the taxi driver tries to cheat me out of 50 centimos.
- That it is culturally normal for everyone to tell you that you´ve gotten fatter and to smile in spite of it all.
- How to attract gym teachers from far and wide... Not that I try to.
- They don´t know how to make jeans in this country.
- How to dance to cumbia, huayno, salsa, and reggaeton. Peruvians love to dance... and they love to watch gringas dance even more.
- To never again take Mountain Dew or good pizza for granted.
- How to cry regularly. It just doen´t feel like a normal week if I don´t cry at least twice.
- That some people are willing to open their homes and lives up to a complete stranger.
- That I am truly blessed to have so many incredible supportive people back home. Thanks guys.

2 comments:

Andy HoboTraveler.com said...

I believe your a Peace Corp worker, this is a long process. I have traveled for many year, when I get tired of any country I am am in, I go take an "English Vacation." In Africa I would go to Hotels where there were Peace Corp workers, then talk English for a few days. Is there a Peace Corp Hotel near your location, I would love to know where they are located in Peru.
Andy HoboTraveler.com Travel Blog

jennk said...

ok... so i want to learn what you have learned about makeup- dancing! i have some stories for you.